Thursday, January 23, 2014

Making On-Line Coaching A Bit More Human

“Communication - The human connection - is key to personal and career success.” – Paul J. Meyer

I love technology.  In fact, when it comes to my coaching, I could do little without it.  Few of my clients are close by, most are throughout the country or overseas.  Where it is wonderful to be able to connect with people at great distances, it does offer many challenges.  The main one of course is to make the coaching experience intimate and personal while actually being thousands of miles away.

                Coaching is a personal experience.  When we are trying to help someone, it is important to be able to connect with then on a personal level.  You want to look them in the eyes, watch body language and smile when they share something funny.  This is hard to do from a key board.  Coaching by email or letter can be helpful, but no more helpful than reading a book.  When a client seeks to find a coach, they really are not looking for a book, they want something more.

                I have discovered a few things that work for me and my clients.  They allow us to connect on a more personal level, meet face to face and to develop a rapport.  Allow me to share just a few.

                It all starts with Skype or some other on line meeting program.  I like Skype because it is easy to use, it is free to download and if you and the client have it, the call is free.  When I get a new client, I ask them to get Skype if they do not already have it (I find that many people already do).  I them tell them they need a camera and microphone for our meetings.  I let them know that we will need to see each other if we are to do this right.  I then have them contact me and I add them to my contacts and we are ready to go.

                That is the technical part.  Easy enough.  But how do you make it personal and helpful?  Here are three keys to connecting with your client on-line:

Key One:  Keep It Professional
                When you meet with someone on-line, treat it the same way you would if they were coming to your office.  The truth is, they are coming to your office.  Be dressed in a professional manner.  Never, I say never, get on line to coach in your pajamas.  You laugh, but it has been done many times.  This is a coaching session and someone is paying for your time.  Dress for work and be professional.

Key Two:  Keep It Personable
                When you are meeting with a client, stay in front of the camera so that they can see more than just your face.  We like to use our hands when we talk and by allowing enough room to move a bit makes the client feel you are in the room with them.  Be friendly, look at the client, not the computer screen.  Talk to them and smile.  Treat it as if you were in the same room.  Do not be talking to them and sending an email at the same time.  This time is theirs and theirs alone.  Behave the same way you would if the person was sitting across a desk or table from you.

Key Three:  Keep It Private
                When you are on-line, hold your meetings in a private area like your office.  Do not meet in coffee shops or in a room where there are other people.  Just as you would not meet them in person in such a place, be even more careful on-line.  Coaching is a very personal matter and you want your client to feel that you respect them and you can be trusted.  Being in an office gives a back ground that will also help in making the experience more professional for the client.  Be sure you have a background that is neat and pleasant.  Don't be talking with a chair behind you that has a dirty pair of socks flung over it.

                It is easy to make the on-line experience more human and pleasant for your clients.  Being able to meet with people all over the world and country is a wonderful thing.  Treat it as such.  Do not allow the power of technology to make you lazy or uncaring.  Do not fear technology either.  We have to face the fact that things are changing and it really is for the better.  Embrace it and develop it.  Always be finding ways to make the coaching experience great for your clients and for yourself. 

John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, and Life Coach. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at http://www.growthcenter.net or www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2014 John Patrick Hickey


2 comments:

  1. One way I have learned to be more personable, is to minimize the Skype screen so I only see a small video of them. Then I move it to the top center of my screen (right under my camera). This way, I can look at the camera which gives the appearance that I am looking at them. Also, with the small video below, I can still see there gestures and such out of my peripheral. Not to mention, the video quality is better.

    I was wondering, my home is not very aesthetic, but it is clean, and I was considering the WebAround (http://www.thewebaround.com). What are your thoughts on this? Does the blank and plain colored screen remove the personal touch? I have even considered trying to save up and find a nice backdrop. What are your thoughts or resources to recommend?

    Also, I had not considered trying to allow the client to see more of my body? Nice post.

    ReplyDelete