Thursday, October 9, 2014

He Really Understands

"For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin."
- Hebrews 4:15 / NASV

One of the tricks that the enemy of our souls uses most often, and quite effectively, is that of making us feel alone.  How many times have you heard someone say, "But you don't understand what I am going through."?  People tend to think that no one has ever been through quite what they have been through and no one really understands the troubles they've seen (sorry, couldn't resist).

                The truth is, the human experience is very common and most people do understand your struggles.  More importantly however is the fact that Jesus understands.  When I first became a Christian and struggled with old temptations, I felt that God could not want me because I have such sin in my heart.  Then a loving friend pointed Hebrews 4:15 out to me and everything changed.  I not only had hope but I had my own understanding.

                This verse showed me two very important things: One was that if the Scripture was true (I knew it was) then Jesus faced the same temptations as me.  The very same ones.  The second thing was that He faced them and did not sin.  That told me that being tempted was not sin.  The accuser of our soul will tell us how bad we are because we have been tempted.  Jesus tells us, "I understand and you have not sinned."  He also tells us that because He was not overcome by temptation, we do not have to be either.  That, my friend is wonderful news!  I love the words of Billy Graham who use to say, "You can't keep birds from flying over your head, but you can keep them from making a nest in your hair."

                Always remember that you matter to the world.  God placed you here to make a difference and that difference is good.  You possess the qualities of a real success-minded person, which are to: Be your best.  Love God.  Have good manners. Discover the unknown.  Change the world.


John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, and Life Coach. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at http://www.growthcenter.net or www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2014 John Patrick Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment