Thursday, December 11, 2014

"But I am Not Religious."

"For the Word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart."
- Hebrews 4:12 / NASV

As a life coach, we often coach people who are not believers in Christ.  We let others know that we are Christian, but we do not limit ourselves to only Christian clients.  Having said this, I must also say that the Bible is the most powerful tool in our tool box.  The Word of God gives us the direction, principles and guidance for living a successful life on all levels.  So how do you use this tool when the client tells you, "I am not religious so I really don't care about the Bible."

                I always let clients know that I base my belief system on the Scriptures.  I believe that the Bible gives the truth and is useful, whether you believe in God or not.  If someone hires me as a coach, I believe I have a responsibility to give them the best I have and to be fully honest with them.  I explain that for me to do that, I must refer to the Bible for direction because not to would be not giving them my best.  I have not had a client, who was a non-believer, every reject that and in the end they have seen the wisdom to be found there.

                Our commitment to Christ is not our religion.  It is who we are.  It is our belief system and the foundation for all we know.  Do not think that you have to put that on the back burner just because a client does not recognize it.  If you are clear right off that you hold to the teachings of Scripture and that you look to God for guidance and direction, your client can make the choice if they wish to engage you or not.  Since people look for truth and honesty in a coach, you will find it more welcomed than rejected.

                Always remember that you matter to the world.  God placed you here to make a difference and that difference is good.  You possess the qualities of a real success-minded person, which are to: Be your best.  Love God.  Have good manners. Discover the unknown.  Change the world.


John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, and Life Coach. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at http://www.growthcenter.net or www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2014 John Patrick Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment