Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Showing The Way To Happiness

“God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself because it is not there.”
– C.S. Lewis
(1888-1963) Author

Are you a Christian coach who coaches non-Christian people?  Have you had the opportunity to do a workshop or seminar for a business or educational institution and asked not to being religion into the conversation?  How do you handle this and is the spiritual aspect really that important?  After all, the principles of success are relevant whether you are a believer or not.  Or are they?

                Like many of you, I have had to face this issue many times in my coaching career.  For me it goes beyond the issues of respecting the beliefs of another and deals with my personal integrity.  If I am being paid to help a person find a purpose and fulfillment in life, do I not have the responsibility to tell them the truth?

                It is true that the principles of success are laws that do not change because of a person's beliefs.  It is as the law of nature, gravity works whether you believe in it or not.  No matter what you believe is the order, winter is followed by spring and then summer and then fall and back to winter.  Never changing the order, never missing one or the other.  So it is with the laws of success; if you follow the pattern you will achieve.  However, part of that pattern is our spirit.  To leave it out is like trying to leave fall out of the cycle of seasons.

                How can I help you to fulfill your purpose in life and leave out the very Person who created you and your purpose?  How can I help you to find happiness and completion as a person without introducing you to the One who makes you complete? 

                The truth is, you (or rather the client) may not accept that direction.  Just because I tell you about Jesus does not make me responsible for you accepting Him.  That is fully up to you.  However, to not tell you of the hope, redemption, joy and completion Jesus can bring to your life is to not be honest with you and that is my responsibility.

                I find it best to always be honest and up front with new clients or businesses who wish to use my services.  I let them know that I am not a preacher or evangelist and that my focus is to help them find success in their journey.  However, I am a Christian; it is not what I believe or my religion, it is who I am.  Being a Christian I know that to find real fulfillment in life must include your relationship with Jesus Christ, to ask me to leave that out is asking me to lie and I will not do that.


John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, and Life Coach. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at http://www.growthcenter.net or www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2014 John Patrick Hickey

1 comment:

  1. Thank you John. I struggle deeply with this and business. I already struggle in life because I hold nothing back in my relationship with Jesus. It makes me stick out like sore thumb. Many people, even Christians, are put off by me. I know that's their issue and it's between them and God. God instructs us to an example of Him to a lost and dying world. That's me. I can't help it if people are disobedient to God. All I am able to do is what I'm called to do. I struggle because I don't know where I fit in. It becomes overwhelming and discouraging. I just have to continue being who I am in God and let God handle the rest.

    ReplyDelete