Thursday, June 5, 2014

Lighting the Way

“Because the darker the surrounding, the brighter the candle will shine.  Light just shines
brighter in darkness.  Light always wins.”
– Louisa Chan
Author / Coach

“Let you light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”
– Jesus Christ
Matthew 5:16 / NASV

When we take on the role of a coach in a person's life, we take on a great responsibility.  Coaches are guides and those who seek a coach are seeking someone to help them through a time or situation in their life.  This is never taken lightly or without deep thought.  I have always felt that if someone was going to trust me to give them advice on what is often the most important issues of their life, I had better be right.

                This does not mean that I, or you, have to be perfect before we can guide others.  It does mean that we should be living the reality of what we tell others to do.  If I am telling you to work hard and commit yourself to achieving success, yet I sit around and do little with my own time, I will not be a very good light.  Never believe for a second that your example does not matter to your clients.  It matters more than any words you say.  If you cannot live by the standards you propose, how do you think they will?

                I am a believer in having a personal mission statement (something we will talk more of in a later blog).  My personal mission statement is this: "To be a consistent example and teacher of personal excellence and leadership skills.  To live a life that will show the reality of Jesus Christ in the life of a believer."  It is my goal and passion to live up to this every day of my life.  I do not always achieve it fully, but I do strive to every day.

                You, as a coach, must look at your own life and ask the question: "Am I living the life I instruct my clients to live?"  If not, then you need to discover why not.  Every day you must work to be the person who can set the standard of a successful person who shows "the reality of Jesus Christ in the life of a believer". 

                Like it or not, you are an example to others.  There is no escaping it or passing it off onto others.  If you feel you have been called to be a coach, you have been called to be an example.  The two are never separated.  It is the example that you show to others that will light their way to success and fulfillment.  You cannot do it for them and you are not responsible for their actions, however, you can show the way and you are responsible for you.

                You matter to the world.  You are here to make a difference and that difference is good.  Remember the qualities of a real success-minded person: Be your best.  Love God.  Have good manners. Discover the unknown.  Change the world.


John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, and Life Coach. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at http://www.growthcenter.net or www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2014 John Patrick Hickey

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I so needed this today, John. Thank you.

    I love what you said: "Like it or not, you are an example to others. There is no escaping it or passing it off onto others. If you feel you have been called to be a coach, you have been called to be an example. The two are never separated. It is the example that you show to others that will light their way to success and fulfilment."

    It is so true! Lead by example. That's how we are to be Christians to shine our light... An example of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete