Thursday, July 3, 2014

Making Hard Decisions

“In our day, it is considered worse to judge evil than to do evil.”
– Os Guiness
Author
Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good.”
– Saint Paul
Romans 12:9  / NASV

We live in a day when we are faced with decisions and choices that, at least for some of us, we never thought would be an issue.  As coaches, we have many different people come to us for help.  Some are a joy to work with and some a real challenge.  The struggle comes when we have to take a stand over social issues that we cannot, and really should not avoid.

                Even as Christian coaches we must deal with homosexuality and gay marriage, addictions of all kind, dishonesty, abuse and more.  These are the issues that face people today, and even though they may not be the reason they seek a coach, these issues effect their lives and therefore must be dealt with.  Here are a few of the ways that I have deal with these issues over the years.

Be open, up front and solid about your faith
                I always let people know that I am a Christian and that my faith will direct all I have to say to them.  I do not accept the idea that if they are not a believer in Jesus, that I need to respect that and not bring my faith into it.  If my faith is a problem for them then I suggest they find a coach who they can work with.  I respect all people and I do not insist that they believe as I do, however, I am a Christian coach and if I give them anything less I am not doing them the service they are paying for.

Stand on right and wrong
                No matter what the popular opinion may be, there is absolute truth, absolute right and absolute wrong.  Truth does not change because the ideas of a society changes.  Right is never wrong and wrong is never right - never.  You will find that many feel very comfortable when they know that they can trust where you stand.  If you are willing to allow wrong to have a foot hold you are disserving your clients.  A coach cannot allow someone to guilt or pressure them into compromise.

Love people and help them all you can
                I want my clients to know that I really do care about them, no matter who they are, what they have done, or what they are dealing with.  I want to help them to succeed and achieve their goals.  This means that is they are a prisoner to sin, I will let them know how to find freedom, I will not ignore it.  As Christians we know the answer to these difficult and troubling issues.  May we be free to share them and to help others find the freedom we have in Christ.               

                You matter to the world.  You are here to make a difference and that difference is good.  Remember the qualities of a real success-minded person: Be your best.  Love God.  Have good manners. Discover the unknown.  Change the world.


John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, and Life Coach. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at http://www.growthcenter.net or www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2014 John Patrick Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment