Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Overcoming Fear

“If you want to conquer fear, don't sit home and think about it.  Go out and get busy.”
– Dale Carnegie
(1888-1955) Author / Speaker

Nothing can stall, detour and even paralyze the achievement of a goal like fear can.  Fear causes us to avoid the challenges that are there to strengthen and develop us.  Fear will cause many to put off doing what must be done in order to achieve their success.  The worst part is that 99% of the fear is about things that have not and will not happen.

                Coaches are constantly faced with the challenge of fear.  Clients who have all the ability and talent to achieve great things, become caught in the muck of fear and do nothing.  So how do we as coaches help the people who come to us for guidance and advice?  There are a few simple steps that you can help others take that will free them from the dreadful grip of fear.

Change Their Focus
                One way that fear is able to have such a strong hold on us is that we tend to think about the things we fear all the time.  Do not allow your clients to focus on the "what could happen" or the "what if's" in their life.  Remind them that they are creating the very things they fear rather than controlling them.  Focus on what needs to be done to succeed, what will happen when they do achieve their goals and the victories and blessing they have right now.

Get Busy And Do Something
                We have talked many times about the fact that there is no success without action.  Action is also the most effective and powerful weapon against fear that any of us have.  The person who is busy taking action to achieve their goals is not cowering in the corner with fear.  Get your client busy.  Give them actual action steps to follow and help them to do more than they think.

Trust God
                As people of faith, we know and believe that God is in control of our lives.  Throughout Scripture we see God instructing His people NOT TO FEAR.  Why is that?  It is because there is nothing to fear.  Think of it this way (Forgive me for using my own thoughts as the example).  I believe that God created me by choice not by chance.  He wanted me on this planet because He had a task for me to do.  God gave me the dream, the passion and purpose that makes me who I am.  If that is true (I totally believe that it is) then He had every intention for me to fulfill that purpose.  I may not know how the journey will go or what I will have to learn along the way, but I do know that I will make it to the end.  If I have the Creator of all things behind me, how can I fail?  Help your clients to understand, know and believe that, and fear will be no more than a passing emotion.

                You matter to the world.  You are here to make a difference and that difference is good.  Remember the qualities of a real success-minded person: Be your best.  Love God.  Have good manners. Discover the unknown.  Change the world.

John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, and Life Coach. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at http://www.growthcenter.net or www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2014 John Patrick Hickey


No comments:

Post a Comment