Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Knowing Means Doing

“Learning and having knowledge alone will not get you success.”
– Louise Chan
Life-Coach/ Author

Okay!  I admit it, success-minded people like to learn.  We will read, study, take courses, attend seminars, webinars, and any other "inars" we can find.  It is the nature of success-minded people to want to have more and more knowledge on whatever their main subject is.  This is really a great thing and by no means do I want to discourage it.  There is a downside however.  If all you are doing is collecting knowledge and never actually applying it, you are doing nothing of any meaningful power or purpose.

                I have been asked many times by coaches who have been to all the courses, been certified and have read many books and articles on coaching, "What do I do next?"  This question shows me two things: one is that they have learned more than they have used; and second is that they have not discovered one of the key principles of coaching and that is to use it yourself.

                Let me give you a couple of helpful ideas of how you can move forward in your couching business and practice.  I think that you will find these familiar and simple.  In fact, they will be so familiar and simple that you will wonder why you have not figured this out yourself.

Practice What You Preach
                One of the things coaches find to be true is that we, as humans, all really fight the same battles.  We may give them different names and dress them up a bit differently, but they still are the same.  We all seek to find our purpose in life.  We all battle with confidence and fear.  We all find that we do the things we do not want to do and avoid the very things we so deeply want.  These are not problems only fought by your clients, you fight them too.

                When asked, "What should I do next?" I often will tell coaches, "What would you tell your client to do?"  "What do you know you should do?"  Then, it is just a case of doing it.  "Oh, it cannot be that simple."  Oh yes it can.  If you did just want you already know to do, you would be amazed on the progress you would make.  As economist and actor, Ben Stein said, "It's amazing what ordinary people can do if they set out without preconceived notions."

The Simple Answer is the Best
                A drawback to too much knowledge on a subject is that we tend to want to use it all.  We complicate every decision and choice we make.  Remember the old "Occam's Razor" you learned in school: "The simplest answer is most likely the best." 

                There is no need to complicate everything or try to impress other - or yourself - with how much you know.  Think things through and find the simplest answer to every problem.

Do More Than You Say
                In the end, the only thing that will move you forward is the action you take.  Nothing happens without action!  Think about what you would advise a client to do and then actually do it.  Do not think about it, explain it or study it farther, do it!

                You have trained to be a coach.  You know this stuff and you live to help others.  Now, apply what you know to yourself and really learn what you have worked so hard to gain.  You will find that most of what you need you already possess.

                You matter to the world.  You are here to make a difference and that difference is good.  Remember the qualities of a real success-minded person: Be your best.  Love God.  Have good manners. Discover the unknown.  Change the world.

John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, and Life Coach. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at http://www.growthcenter.net or www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2014 John Patrick Hickey


2 comments:

  1. I think I need coaching worse than anyone around. I love helping people. I've learned a lot. I simply am mentally paralyzed at "the doing". I find that when apply myself and do there are people who are defeating my purpose and basically giving me back-handed compliments. I can't seem to be motivated to do. I think there's something deeper going on that I'm unable to identify. It's keeping me paralyzed. =-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly: Believe me, your issues are the same faced by many. Taking action is like the old idea of jumping into the pool. Hold your nose, count to three and jump. As I said in the blog, "What would you tell someone who was coming to you for help?" How would you help someone just like you? You have the knowledge, insight and information you need. You are only lacking the action. I believe you can do this. Just take one step - just one, and then you can take the next.

    ReplyDelete