Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Only Argue With Smart People

“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.”
– John Wooden
(1910-2010 ) Coach

I know, we are told that it is not right to argue.  Even the great Dale Carnegie said, "The best way to win an argument is to avoid it."  In many cases that is good, sound advice.  However, there are those times when an argument can not only be good, but a real learning experience.  There is a big difference between arguing to prove you are right and arguing to teach something important.

                In the early days of my becoming a Christian, I worked with the Salvation Army in Vermont for a year.  The lady who was in charge of the corps I was part of was an old Brigadier who was one of the most challenging people I had ever met.  No matter what I said, especially in terms of my faith, she questioned.  She was always insisting that I prove why I believed the way I did.  At the time I felt she was just being disagreeable, but as I grow and matured in the Lord I came to understand that she was really one of my best teachers.

                The most important lesson I received from the Brigadier was not how to win an argument (by the way - I never did), it was the importance in knowing not just what I believed but why.  She drove me to the Scriptures to better understand why I thought the way I did.  This practice of knowing what and why I believe - in all areas of life - is with me to this day, some 40 years later.

                This is why it is good to be sure you surround yourself with people smarter than you are.  You will always find people who will argue with you.  You will always find people who know more than you do.  Remember this, just because someone has more knowledge in a subject than you do does not mean they are smarter.  There are many who have earned dozens of degrees who are at heart fools.  Those that are smarter than you are those who can and do teach you to be better than you are, they are not the ones who just want to impress you with what they know.

                The same applies for you helping others.  Do not argue with people just to prove you are right, know more or to make them look stupid.  Always think of others and what you can do to help them succeed, be their best and learn something useful.  You can tell someone an important lesson and they may, or may not, remember it.  Drive them to discover an answer for themselves and they will remember it for a life time. 

                I am who I am today because I have been blessed to know smart people who were willing to challenge me and make me think, search, discover and prove all I know.  This is a debit that I can never repay and the great thing is, no of these great people, past and present expect payment.  Sometimes, those people who argue with you at every turn are the ones who love and give you the most.

                You matter to the world.  You are here to make a difference and that difference is good.  Remember the qualities of a real success-minded person: Be your best.  Love God.  Have good manners. Discover the unknown.  Change the world.


John Patrick Hickey is an author, speaker, and Life Coach. To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at http://www.growthcenter.net or www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2014 John Patrick Hickey

1 comment: